What can be done to improve attitudes to mathematics in primary classrooms in Wales?



  The negative attitudes towards mathematics comes from children and also adults who are scared they can’t reach the result they want or need and then loose motivation, embarrassed to ask about certain areas as they can think of themselves as thick as their friend next to them is flying through the questions. This is getting very popular across the country for people not wanting to sit a mathematic exam, as it has gotten harder, also since the new math papers have been released meaning you have to sit 4 exam papers now, instead of 2.   


“Evidence shows us that a positive attitude to maths is key to being numerate - having the confidence and competence to use numbers and think mathematically in everyday life. As part of our work, we examine what can be done to help everyone in the UK to believe they can do maths. Negative attitudes are at the root of our numeracy crisis, rather than a lack of innate talent. In order for people individually and the country as a whole to improve, and in turn benefit from raised levels of numeracy, our attitudes have to change.” (NationalNumeracy, 2019)


My experience of Math GCSE was very daunting I would never want to sit it again, I failed 3 times and each time I was like a marc away from a C, this made me feel really down and rubbish about myself, while everyone was passing first and second time, I was still struggling. I was put into a higher set again and I was telling my teachers I felt out of place being with people who knew a lot more and were studying  higher tier, they were very focused on getting me through and said sitting a higher tier paper is easier to pass. I had loads of support of my math teacher at the time, really gave me the encouragement and motivation that I needs, I then went on a flew my math test gaining a C and few marks off a B, I was very chuffed.

It was the first exam Mel Muldowney, a maths teacher at Alcester Academy in Warwickshire, had sat for 20 years, and she thought she had dropped at least eight marks.

“In terms of content, I would sit the old GCSE in 25 to 30 minutes,” she said. “I sat there today and was still working 90 minutes later. There were some questions there that were ridiculously tough, but that’s what [the government] wanted, and that’s what they got.” (Tes, 2017)

Short clip of a fun video clip for children to improve mathematic attitudes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkvYpT0JJB8


  An activity to help maths that I have found interesting is the National Numeracy website. It allows you to take a basic numeracy test, and then evaluates your answers, then provides you with examples and work sheets on specific topics you have got wrong. This is a great way for children under going GCSE’s to try as it will really help you on certain sums. If I had known about this website while I was sitting Maths I think I would have enjoyed, as it test you on everything across the board that may come up in an exam, then finds out your strengths and weaknesses and makes works sheets for you to work on certain areas.



  I think Maths should be sharpened up to be fun within a classroom, not be sat at a table doing maths, activities should be placed, games should be created to make maths a whole different subject. Making it creative as possible! Especially in primary classrooms, children like to get messy, paint sums, colours sums, be as messy as possible so children enjoy learning maths. Biggest part of children’s negative attitudes towards math is a fear of failing. Research and studies have now shown that attitudes can be changed through using technology, such as websites like Mentimeter. Where answers are shown on a screen anonymously, giving children confidence if they have gotten the answer wrong, as the answer will be explained but not picked out individually, causing embarrassment and humiliation for children.





















Bibliography.

NationalNumeracy (2019). Attitudes. Available at: https://www.nationalnumeracy.org.uk/research-attitudes-towards-maths [accessed 04/05/19]

National Numeracy (2019). Numeracy. Available at: https://www.nationalnumeracy.org.uk/attitudes-issue [accessed 22/04/19]



Comments